Q Sama! Pressure Study
This activity is based on a fairly well known Japanese game show called “Q Sama” so most students should catch on rather quickly.
- Make a list of 10 words the students should already know.
- Choose 10 students to form a team.
- Each student gets a turn to translate one word from Japanese to English or vice versa. They can pick any one of the 10 words.
- Give the team an allotted time to translate all the words. Usually about a minute is best.
- If all words are translated within the allotted time then the group of 10 students all win. If they do not complete the list then the team as a whole loses. They key to this game, especially when using more difficult vocabulary, is for the students that know the more difficult words to translate them so that the students that may not know them at least have the option of translating an easier word
This is a very basic theme and variations are likely to work. Some ideas are:
- Prepare a poster with the words for the day or write them on the board if time does not permit.
- Do team competitions to see who can complete the list in less time.
- Use sentences from the textbook that they may have memorized instead of just words.
- Depending on the class and their ability, they time given can be increased or decreased.
Competitive quiz shows will usually be successful with a class so long as it is not too rowdy.